Ex-IMDb Members' Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/18/2017 8:47 am  #1

What Kind(s) of Books Do You Mostly Read?

In nonfiction, I read mostly history and biographies.  Right now, I'm reading a biography of Wyatt Earp.

In fiction, I like the older stuff -- both classic (Dickens, George Eliot, etc.) and popular (Conan Doyle, H. Rider Haggard, etc.).  Lately I've been reading a lot of the "pulp magazine" stories that are available for e-readers.

I almost never read modern fiction these days.  

You put on a pair of shoes when you walk into the New York Public Library, fella.

2/18/2017 9:11 am  #2

Re: What Kind(s) of Books Do You Mostly Read?

I read less and less fiction these days. I enjoy social histories and find historic memoir an invaluable illumination in this area. I'll read about a specific period that has caught my attention and lately have been reading as much about places as people. 
So far this year I have been reading some of Jonathan Meades books 'Museum without Walls' and 'An Encyclopedia of Myself' which lead me on to a book called 'Concretopia' about postwar building in Britain, I have Ian Nairn's London to follow it up, and 'The Secret History of Georgian London' by Dab Cruikshank to come.
In between I have fitted in 'Good Night and Good Riddance' ( a book about John Peel)
and am currently reading 'Enough Said' What's gone wrong with the language of Politics? by Mark Thompson
Who the hell has the time for fiction?

2/18/2017 1:35 pm  #3

nooyster wrote:

I read less and less fiction these days. I enjoy social histories and find historic memoir an invaluable illumination in this area. I'll read about a specific period that has caught my attention and lately have been reading as much about places as people. 
So far this year I have been reading some of Jonathan Meades books 'Museum without Walls' and 'An Encyclopedia of Myself' which lead me on to a book called 'Concretopia' about postwar building in Britain, I have Ian Nairn's London to follow it up, and 'The Secret History of Georgian London' by Dab Cruikshank to come.
In between I have fitted in 'Good Night and Good Riddance' ( a book about John Peel)
and am currently reading 'Enough Said' What's gone wrong with the language of Politics? by Mark Thompson
Who the hell has the time for fiction?

Concretopia sounds really interesting.  I love reinforced concrete as a building material.

You put on a pair of shoes when you walk into the New York Public Library, fella.

2/18/2017 7:58 pm  #4

Where the subject is a politician, biography is history, but particularly intimate and personal. I recently read The Hopkins Touch and am now on the wartime diaries of Ivan Maisky. Those diaries, incidentally, are inspirational for anyone inclined to despair at the state of politics at any given time - they are a reminder that the pendulum can always swing back.

I hated Dickens at school - of course! - but since turning 40 have read quite a lot of his work and with pleasure. I am now reading Martin Chuzzlewit. I adore popular fiction of the 20s and 30s, whether literary (Hammett, Chandler) or with no pretensions whatever (Edgar Wallace, Sapper).

2/19/2017 2:21 am  #5

Blonde - Joyce Carol Oates
​Defying Hitler - Sebastian Haffner
​Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
​Modernism. The Lure of Herey. From Baudelaire to Beckett and Beyond - Peter Gay
​The Swerve. How the World Became Modern - Stephen Greenblatt
​Fleurs du Mal - Baudelaire
​Oscar Wilde - Richard Ellman
​There so many, these are the ones I can think of now.

'Science and creationism don't exclude each other.' Heeyyy

2/19/2017 11:23 am  #6

Charlie Sibthorpe wrote:

Where the subject is a politician, biography is history, but particularly intimate and personal. I recently read The Hopkins Touch and am now on the wartime diaries of Ivan Maisky. Those diaries, incidentally, are inspirational for anyone inclined to despair at the state of politics at any given time - they are a reminder that the pendulum can always swing back.

I hated Dickens at school - of course! - but since turning 40 have read quite a lot of his work and with pleasure. I am now reading Martin Chuzzlewit. I adore popular fiction of the 20s and 30s, whether literary (Hammett, Chandler) or with no pretensions whatever (Edgar Wallace, Sapper).

The Maisky diaries sound very interesting.

I read Wallace's Book of All-Power a few years ago and loved it.

2/19/2017 6:52 pm  #7

Jill McBain wrote:

​Modernism. The Lure of Herey. From Baudelaire to Beckett and Beyond - Peter Gay

What kinds of books do you mostly read?  What we're looking for here are categories or classes.

2/19/2017 9:14 pm  #8

The Swerve. How the World Became Modern - Stephen Greenblatt sounded interesting to me so I checked it out. The review in the LA Review of Books is as harsh as anything I've ever read. Essentially says it's total garbage, full of flat untruths.

2/21/2017 6:08 am  #9

Walt-Most wrote:

Jill McBain wrote:

What kinds of books do you mostly read?  What we're looking for here are categories or classes.

It depends on my mood. Usually I have several books next to my bed. Right now it's political philosophy. I started to read a general introduction to Hannah Arendt and the other one I am reading is 'Jew and Anti-Semite' (I don't know the English title) by Sartre. Both appear highly up to date to me.

​And I love books about films.

Last edited by Jill McBain (2/21/2017 6:09 am)

'Science and creationism don't exclude each other.' Heeyyy

2/21/2017 10:17 am  #10

Classics and Biographies mostly. Some political stuff when I can be arsed (You Can't Read this Book by Nick Cohen was quite a good look at free speech/censorship).

​Last two books: The Invisible man (Wells) and Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck).

Last edited by Hux (2/21/2017 10:20 am)

Go take that blusher off you mis-shapen headed elephant tranny.

Board footera