Ex-IMDb Members' Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

9/16/2017 6:52 pm  #1

Deadly adventures with Siri

By now you should all be familiar with the artificial intelligence built into most Apple Smart Phones.
And how it is supposed to be able to locate where you are with some reasonable degree of accuracy
to be able to give you reasonably accurate directions to get somewhere using GPS technology.

Except that sometimes the technology doesn't work to such an epic and complete degree of failure
that it actually puts people's lives in danger.

What could be more cool and awesome than a talking artificially intelligent smart phone giving you
voice based directions to get you to where you need to be?
But what about when Siri leads you around in circles through a maze of Texas back roads
while you slowly die from heat exhaustion? Which is the exact opposite of cool and awesome...

Trying to figure your way out of that situation while Siri continues to shout the names of roads
at you that don't even exist, or are many miles away, is not an easy task.

With Siri locked into a holding pattern of directing you in circles with the directions getting
more and more inaccurate with each pass. Just because you ask Siri to find an alternative route
that doesn't involve driving 35 miles down a Toll Highway.

Which there is such an alternate route, but you have to use a paper map in order to find it.
Thus making Siri worse than useless in that situation, instead Siri acts as a deadly malicious nuisance.

"Without education and intellectualism there is no morality."

9/16/2017 10:40 pm  #2

Re: Deadly adventures with Siri

SlowComingWarbird wrote:

By now you should all be familiar with the artificial intelligence built into most Apple Smart Phones.
And how it is supposed to be able to locate where you are with some reasonable degree of accuracy
to be able to give you reasonably accurate directions to get somewhere using GPS technology.

Except that sometimes the technology doesn't work to such an epic and complete degree of failure

What could be more cool and awesome than a talking artificially intelligent smart phone giving you
But what about when Siri leads you around in circles through a maze of Texas back roads
while you slowly die from heat exhaustion? Which is the exact opposite of cool and awesome...

Trying to figure your way out of that situation while Siri continues to shout the names of roads

With Siri locked into a holding pattern of directing you in circles with the directions getting
more and more inaccurate with each pass. Just because you ask Siri to find an alternative route

Which there is such an alternate route, but you have to use a paper map in order to find it.
Thus making Siri worse than useless in that situation, instead Siri acts as a deadly malicious nuisance.

My British app guy on my Here We Go app lead me on a wild goose chase today. I totally got lost. He wanted me to turn into somebody's driveway when I was trying to go to the a sports place.

Please leave a contribution in the little box...xoxo rabbit

9/26/2017 4:28 pm  #3

Re: Deadly adventures with Siri

softbunnywarmbunny wrote:

SlowComingWarbird wrote:

My British app guy on my Here We Go app lead me on a wild goose chase today. I totally got lost. He wanted me to turn into somebody's driveway when I was trying to go to the a sports place.

Maybe it was a flaw in the algorithms used by "Siri" and maybe not.

The area around the " Chisholm Trail Museum" is very strange, extending about 15 miles in every direction
in which all electronic devices do not function properly. Even modern cars tend to stall out unpredictably
and batteries in portable devices tend to suddenly go dead without explanation.

And the detours and highway construction in the area makes it difficult to get out of there
because you can't leave by the same highway you arrive there on.
The bridge on one side of the highway is missing, and it looks as though the whole
construction project is abandoned.

LOL... Perhaps the construction crew couldn't get their equipment to work.
Because it is just weird that they would leave a bulldozer and road leveler out there unattended like that.

I know it's not a nice thing to say about the place, but the whole experience there wasn't nice either.
Stalled out on a road that is just barely wide enough for one car is not a good way to pass the time
even if it was just for 10 minutes before the car would start again.

Last edited by SlowComingWarbird (9/26/2017 4:30 pm)

"Without education and intellectualism there is no morality."

Board footera