Ex-IMDb Members' Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

10/15/2017 9:18 pm  #1

Pinterest needs to eat a dick and stop emailing me

All I wanted to do was look at a damned recipe.

Time was, once upon a time, you could Google the name of a dish or a list of a few ingredients, and right there in your top few search results you would get direct links to recipes - recipes from classy food websites, recipes from semi-literate housewife blogs, whatever - but good, workable, honest recipes that did not require memberships or song-and-dance, just Google, click and there's your recipe.

Nowadays, more than half of the top results are fucking Pinterest links that only let you see a bit of the recipe (plus a whole page full of similar "pins" [eyeroll] that you also only get a preview of.)

I don't want to do Pinterest.  If someone else wants to spend their precious days on this earth clicking pictures of shiny stuff so that some algorithm can select more pictures for them to click on, like some nutless monkey in a Russian psych laboratory, then hey...I don't judge, feel free.  Have at it.  I don't care to do that.

But one day I was weak, and just made an account so I could see a damned recipe.

Now they won't stop emailing me.  I have clicked the unsubscribe link multiple times, which leads me to a freakin' short survey about why I am opting out, but the emails keep coming.

With fucking suggestions of things they think I might like, which pisses me off more because they know fuckall about what I like.

I am not asking for help, here, just venting.  May everyone who works for Pinterest be taken to an Islamic rape dungeon when Western Civ finally gives up the ghost.  Die with a perforated colon, Pinterest.

Last edited by Harold_of_Whoa (10/15/2017 9:20 pm)

Team Taylor  -  Taylor's Starbucks Lovers

10/16/2017 1:59 am  #2

Re: Pinterest needs to eat a dick and stop emailing me

Harold_of_Whoa wrote:

All I wanted to do was look at a damned recipe.

Time was, once upon a time, you could Google the name of a dish or a list of a few ingredients, and right there in your top few search results you would get direct links to recipes - recipes from classy food websites, recipes from semi-literate housewife blogs, whatever - but good, workable, honest recipes that did not require memberships or song-and-dance, just Google, click and there's your recipe.

Nowadays, more than half of the top results are fucking Pinterest links that only let you see a bit of the recipe (plus a whole page full of similar "pins" [eyeroll] that you also only get a preview of.)

I don't want to do Pinterest.  If someone else wants to spend their precious days on this earth clicking pictures of shiny stuff so that some algorithm can select more pictures for them to click on, like some nutless monkey in a Russian psych laboratory, then hey...I don't judge, feel free.  Have at it.  I don't care to do that.

But one day I was weak, and just made an account so I could see a damned recipe.

Now they won't stop emailing me.  I have clicked the unsubscribe link multiple times, which leads me to a freakin' short survey about why I am opting out, but the emails keep coming.

With fucking suggestions of things they think I might like, which pisses me off more because they know fuckall about what I like.

I am not asking for help, here, just venting.  May everyone who works for Pinterest be taken to an Islamic rape dungeon when Western Civ finally gives up the ghost.  Die with a perforated colon, Pinterest.

Can you add them to a block list in your email?

Please leave a contribution in the little box...xoxo rabbit

10/16/2017 5:28 pm  #3

softbunnywarmbunny wrote:

Can you add them to a block list in your email?

For sure that's an option, but then it wouldn't be an outrage.

And this is the Outraged board, so that's how I'm approaching it.

Team Taylor  -  Taylor's Starbucks Lovers

10/16/2017 5:56 pm  #4

Its much worse than just recipes. The internet is slowly being corporatized, the old internet we all came to know and love in the 1990s, free and wide open, giving everyone a voice, is being strangled. 

10/19/2017 12:42 am  #5

I use a dummy email account when registering with things. That way, if they spam me - no, WHEN they spam me - I'm not there to notice it.

Last edited by theauxphou (10/19/2017 12:43 am)

Board footera