Ex-IMDb Members' Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

9/23/2017 5:11 pm  #1

I went to McDonald's today to use their wifi...

...and you can't access crap on it. Sure it will go to Google but if you are trying to go to any actual sites their stupid McDonald's screen comes up. What a joke. I didn't buy anything. I haven't had anything from there in a really long time. Maybe they give the good wifi with a purchase?

Please leave a contribution in the little box...xoxo rabbit

9/23/2017 5:54 pm  #2

Re: I went to McDonald's today to use their wifi...

Could you ask an employee or manager there what the deal is?

Don't mess with me, man! I know karate, judo, ju-jitsu... and several other Japanese words.

9/23/2017 10:21 pm  #3

ZolotoyRetriever wrote:

My screen said something about it not being a secure connection. Maybe that's why?

9/24/2017 8:20 pm  #4

softbunnywarmbunny wrote:

ZolotoyRetriever wrote:

My screen said something about it not being a secure connection. Maybe that's why?

I don't think that would have anything to do with it. Do you have anti-virus software activated? If it was a secure connection problem, your anti-virus software would probably not even allow you to access Google. I would go back and ask one of the employees or a manager, if they're not too busy.

Don't mess with me, man! I know karate, judo, ju-jitsu... and several other Japanese words.

9/24/2017 10:40 pm  #5

ZolotoyRetriever wrote:

ZolotoyRetriever wrote:

I don't think that would have anything to do with it. Do you have anti-virus software activated? If it was a secure connection problem, your anti-virus software would probably not even allow you to access Google. I would go back and ask one of the employees or a manager, if they're not too busy.

Yes. I use eset. Strange that I can access so called unsecure sites at other places. It's not really that big of a deal but they shouldn't have free wifi for people if it's not completely usable. I might do that. Thank you zoloytoy.

10/28/2017 2:10 pm  #6

Try using a universal DNS server that is not the one that McDonalds provides.
Or you could try using something like Tor. The general idea being to tunnel around the
firewall restrictions that McDonalds seems to be imposing according to your descriptions.

For a while, I heard that McDonalds was a favorite hangout for hackers because supposedly their wifi security was a joke.
You might be encountering McDonalds attempts to rectify that situation.

Last edited by SlowComingWarbird (10/28/2017 2:13 pm)

"Without education and intellectualism there is no morality."

10/31/2017 8:09 am  #7

Ronald is such a net nazi and a c*nt!

11/04/2017 2:11 pm  #8

...and you can't access crap on it. Sure it will go to Google but if you are trying to go to any actual sites their stupid McDonald's screen comes up. What a joke. I didn't buy anything. I haven't had anything from there in a really long time. Maybe they give the good wifi with a purchase?

I don't really use WiFi except at home, or a friend or family member's house.

11/06/2017 3:20 pm  #9

I'd imagine it's deliberate:

- they have it so they can advertise it to compete with coffee shops.
- it's crap so you leave quickly to free up your seat. They don't want Starbucks levels of revenue per seat from people sitting there all day with their laptop buying only 1 coffee.

11/07/2017 5:11 pm  #10

McDonald's actually used to charge for their Wi-Fi, but starting in 2010, they began to offer free Wi-Fi - with no time limit, either. It's also supposed to be the fastest Wi-Fi amongst fast-food chains that offer it:

If you desperately need Wi-Fi while you’re out and about, head to the nearest McDonald’s. The world’s largest fast food chain also boasts some of the fastest Wi-Fi speeds among public networks in the US.According to data collected by the London-based app OpenSignal, McDonald’s restaurants have faster Wi-Fi than any other in-store public network used by the app’s smartphone users in the US. The average download speed in McDonald’s eateries is 4.187 Mbps, over four times faster than speeds in Panera chains. Best Buy came in at a close second at 3.879 Mbps.

https://qz.com/245052/mcdonalds-speedy-wi-fi-gives-new-meaning-to-fast-food/

11/07/2017 8:40 pm  #11

Sometimes I eat lunch at the McDonalds in Wal-Mart and the co-worker I had lunch with had similar trouble, Thankfully I have unlimited data.    

Board footera