Ex-IMDb Members' Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

2/18/2017 8:28 pm  #1

Why read a novel when you can watch the movie?

I rather want to read A J Cronin's The Citadel. But it would be quicker and easier to watch the movie.

2/19/2017 2:22 am  #2

Re: Why read a novel when you can watch the movie?

Because books are an entirely different medium from film. The film is usually the director's Interpretation of the story and is not likely to capture a book entirely.

'Science and creationism don't exclude each other.' Heeyyy

2/19/2017 7:03 am  #3

You're not really saying that so stop it.

2/19/2017 7:06 pm  #4

Charlie Sibthorpe wrote:

I rather want to read A J Cronin's The Citadel. But it would be quicker and easier to watch the movie.

I've often wondered what I should do first.  If you read the book first, then you're almost bound to be disappointed by the movie.  But if you watch the movie first, you'll typically know the main plot points in the book before you read it.

I'm glad that I read the LOTR (long) before I saw the movies -- but I was young when I read them and particularly susceptible to the excitement that Tolkien can generate.    

OTOH, I'm also glad that I saw Gone with the Wind before I read the book.  The movie is amazing, and I don't think I would have appreciated it if I had already formed mental images of the characters from reading the book.

You put on a pair of shoes when you walk into the New York Public Library, fella.

2/19/2017 7:18 pm  #5

Walt-Most wrote:

Charlie Sibthorpe wrote:

I've often wondered what I should do first.  If you read the book first, then you're almost bound to be disappointed by the movie.  But if you watch the movie first, you'll typically know the main plot points in the book before you read it.

I'm glad that I read the LOTR (long) before I saw the movies -- but I was young when I read them and particularly susceptible to the excitement that Tolkien can generate.    

OTOH, I'm also glad that I saw Gone with the Wind before I read the book.  The movie is amazing, and I don't think I would have appreciated it if I had already formed mental images of the characters from reading the book.

That would explain your weakness for lost causes once they're really lost.

Last edited by airborne3502 (2/19/2017 7:18 pm)

“If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. ”  

- Michael Crichton

2/19/2017 8:24 pm  #6

airborne3502 wrote:

Walt-Most wrote:

Charlie Sibthorpe wrote:

That would explain your weakness for lost causes once they're really lost.

LOL, yes it would.

You put on a pair of shoes when you walk into the New York Public Library, fella.

2/19/2017 9:22 pm  #7

When I read The Maltese Falcon I had already seen the movie more than once, which made the book a strange experience. I kept thinking, I know all this word for word!

2/20/2017 6:18 am  #8

Charlie Sibthorpe wrote:

When I read The Maltese Falcon I had already seen the movie more than once, which made the book a strange experience. I kept thinking, I know all this word for word!

So why did you choose to read the book? If you can answer that then you'll have your answer as to your OP

2/20/2017 6:58 am  #9

There are many movies, such as "The Running Man" and "Starship Troopers" that bear little or no likeness to
the literature their based on. Plus the books can sometimes close plot holes left in the movie. For example,
the scene in "Star Trek"(2009) where young James Kirk steals and crashes an "antique" car. You don't find out the motivation for the theft and some other interesting tidbits unless you read the novelization.

2/20/2017 12:50 pm  #10

nooyster wrote:

Charlie Sibthorpe wrote:

So why did you choose to read the book? If you can answer that then you'll have your answer as to your OP

If he hadn't read the book, he wouldn't've had all the gay elements (unless he watched the pre-Code 1931 movie version).

2/20/2017 6:49 pm  #11

Wow. I didn't think my bitterest enemy would suggest I read that book specifically in search of gay elements!

2/23/2017 7:34 pm  #12

Charlie Sibthorpe wrote:

Wow. I didn't think my bitterest enemy would suggest I read that book specifically in search of gay elements!

Wait... what?

2/24/2017 12:04 am  #13

Charlie Sibthorpe wrote:

..because the book is almost always better then the movie (or tv show). The only exception that comes to mind is the current TV series The Expanse, which is far better than the books it is based on.

12/06/2017 2:45 pm  #14

The only movie I've ever seen that compared to the book was "1984" 

Board footera